Monday 5 May 2014

A BEAUTIFUL TIME

Written by Olukokun Adedeji

I was broke, feeling extremely down. I looked at my chain of responsibilities and the huge budgets that accompanied my goals...certainly looks like the weight of the world suddenly jumped on me. I stared at my dream car as it passed by, in my head I could hear the music vibrating from its speakers. An SMS beep from my phone rudely interrupted the gbedu and for consolation I hoped it was a GTB or Diamond Bank alert. Not that I had recently closed a juicy deal for which I was expecting a credit alert, I simply thought maybe a good Samaritan had dropped an offering for me (not because I am God, but because s/he is good), or, perhaps, my attempts at hijacking peeps to drop something for the boiz had proven successful. It was such a trying period, something I wasn’t used to anymore.

This is April and this tale sure isn’t April Fool.

These are times when every word of encouragement evaporates as long as the desirable wasn’t available; the road bumps of life stagger us momentarily into doubting God’s existence and love for mankind: “Well...who knows? He's probably got favourites.” Now, how do you deal with those setbacks that scratch your skin? those disappointments that attach to you like an enclosed CV in yet another desperate application? How do you comprehend watching others achieve and you remain on that crazy stagnant spot? How deeply frustrating is it when that one thing you have so desired keeps eluding you year after year. How are you expected to keep keeping on? How courageous is it to don Gucci shades in order to block the reflections of you-can-manage-this substitutes that life offers?

Do I believe in miracles? Are the sweet stories, those happily-ever-afters, recorded in the Holy Book actually true? Or are they simply hyperbolic fabrications of a bunch of drunken priests huddled up in a conspiracy to heighten our psychological inebriation? Could the story of Abraham possibly be real? Through faith he obtained what promise? Puh-leeeez! Spare me those sweet words. Could Sarah truly have given birth at such old age? Could it be a fallacy or, perhaps, a fanaticised recording of the highest order? Can one’s faith pull through such long, trying periods? This is 2014, I think it’s better I faced reality. Every day, people go through challenges, “unfilmtrick” issues that occur in real time. Before them are mountains that pride themselves in their magnificent height and mass, the Goliaths that boast of their physique and strength, the constantly-said prayers that have stayed unanswered, and the yearnings that compliment daily routines. Can I ask where God is when we go through all this? Why did He deny some a child in spite of their long-term faithfulness? Why did the so-called breakthrough not surface even after much confessions and believing? Why won’t prosperity materialise even after constantly paying tithes and giving offerings as commanded by God? Why did Prince Charming delay his coming while the princess dove even deeper into the abyss of sleep? Why were we rejected that visa even after carefully preparing our documents? Why did we fail those exams even when we did our best studying? The thousand “Why” questions floods the heart like Hurricane Katrina.

Hannah was a woman of like passion, she agonised at the torments of the other wife. She cried and wailed while her trouble persisted, yet she held on and kept believing. Abraham obeyed, he did not waver nor stagger in doubt, latching on to the frame of God’s word and promises in order to keep standing.

Sometime in 19BC, a certain Remi Adesina also believed at 54. I never saw her lose her joy. Her husband, Rev. Kunle Adesina, a respected servant of God with a successful ministry with branches in several countries did all that was commanded by his Master - he had prayed for barren women who eventually delivered; he had named many babies, prayed for them as they grew up; and to make matters worse, he didn’t just watch some of them get married years after but had to conduct the joining process, yet he would sing songs to God in thanksgiving on their behalf. I remembered that for years they were both rejected visas to travel out of the country and many wondered why God whom the couple loves so passionately rejected their call for a change of story. Is God dead? Should He be termed wicked or addressed as the Lying God?

Staring at the work I had to do on my laptop on a lovely Friday morning of the 25th of April, 2014, I had my BlackBerry connected to the system from which I often paused to steal a look at my pings. There I saw a message from Pastor Bimbo Alagbe, a man who had transferred some cash to my account a day before to finish a business deal we had. He has grown to become a man that I respect and so admire. He has probably returned to conclude the gist we had pending, I thought, but like an alabaster box which dropped on a solid surface, he broke the news of Rev. Remi Adesina’s delivery of a baby boy! What?! My mouth flung open and ended up in a round O. Surely I would have waved it off as an April Fool hoax if I had got it first day of the month. I saw the good news spread on Facebook like the popular gossips on Linda Ikeji’s blog. Still sitting down, I was able to comprehend the concept of timing as explained in Ecclesiastes. While still consumed with the nostalgic feeling experienced in Abraham’s posh city and Hannah’s beautiful duplex in the days of yore, the word “He makes all things beautiful in His own time” made perfect sense to me.

 Are there truly hopeless situations? I really doubt. There can only be hopeless people, better rephrased as faithless people. The foolishness of Herod came to limelight when God stepped in for the Israelites. God has never been and would never be late. Has He said it? He would surely fulfil it. Hey, God hasn’t forgotten you; He is just waiting for the perfect time to steal the show in your case. How celebrated was the miracle of Lazarus rising from death even when it looked liked Jesus took eternity to come heal his friend? How glamorous was Isaac’s and Samuel’s naming even when it appeared their mothers won’t be privileged to be called mothers.  If doubting Sarah could laugh and yet was still embarrassed with a miracle, if Hannah’s situation could be reversed, who says yours wouldn’t?  I can assure you that the promotion is coming; the visa is going to roll in; your wedding would be an online viral gist; your job would bring with it a fat salary; your car would be the talk of the town; your woman would be the envy of many. Dear folks, delay isn’t denial, all you have to do is to retain the mental picture of the bright future for what you see is what you get. Don’t curse God like Job did, trust me He hasn’t for once forgotten you. He is indeed awesome, and He would surely move those hard intimidating mountains, for He knows the exact time to step in. Remember, early in April I was so broke, it’s amazing, late April I am negotiating payment for a car. God surely would do exceedingly, abundantly above all we ever ask, think or imagine. He would always come and save you in your weary state. Cheer up, you are on God’s timetable and His time is almost here; your time of remembrance period has come.

“God’s timing is always perfect; we are the impatient ones”

Akinlolu Zeinab Abiola

“God is able to do just want He said he would do/He’s gonna fulfil every promise to you/Don’t give up on God cos he won’t give up on you/He’s able”

– Darwin Hobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment